Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Williamson: ‘It will be a honour to manage Stars’

BOB-WILLIAMSON NAIROBI, Kenya, August 5 – Gor Mahia head coach Bobby Williamson says it will be an honour and privilege to manage Harambee Stars but urged Football Kenya Federation (FKF) to approach his club if they need his services.


The former Uganda Cranes tactician has been heavily linked to succeed Belgian Adel Amrouche, who was fired on Sunday alongside his entire technical bench after failing to progress to 2015 African Cup of Nations group stages.


“I’m still a Gor coach and I will be travelling with the team to Cecafa. It will be an honour and privilege to manage a country but as of now I’m still committed in Gor.


“I’m not focused on anything else apart from Gor, it’s up to the federation to approach my club and ask permission if they want to speak to me and we will take it from there but for now I’m focusing on what I’m doing in Gor,” Williamson told Capital Sport exclusively on Tuesday.


The Scotsman who managed Cranes for five year’s was sacked early last year after failing to guide the team to 2013 Afcon in South Africa before coming to Gor and leading them to their first Kenyan Premier League title in 18 years.


Williamson added Kenya should focus on developing the game from a youth if they are to revive past glory.


“Amrouche should be very disappointed because he was on a mission but did not achieve what he had set but that’s football unfortunately. Maybe its time Kenya go a step back and have a look at younger players and move on from there,” the 52-year-old coach advised.


Commenting on FKF’s move of disbanding the team and sacking the entire technical bench, he said, “The federation calls on the shot I’m not here to criticize them, my work is focused on Gor.”




Read more here Capital Sports